Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bedtime Dinosaurs




























My Children's Book Art Mini Campers took at a look at the very cute, "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague. ( A real favorite in my house when my children were "young"). I have been wanting to do a dinosaur art project for some time, so this was a great opportunity. I have to say the children (mostly age 6) were somewhat intimidated at the prospect of drawing a dinosaur. But after the first few "lumps and bumps" and "candy cane shapes" in my direct line drawing lesson, they were completely at ease and enjoying the process.


After their drawings were complete and gone over in permanent marker, they were able to paint their piece as they chose with watercolors. "Yes, Sydney, you can paint your dinosaur in rainbow colors." While still wet we sprinkled our work with salt. This gave the dinosaur skin that lumpy reptile effect. Of course, they loved this part! Once dry, our creatures, complete with blankies, were cut out and glued to a black construction paper background. Stars and moon were then added. This was one of my favorite projects of the summer. I love the individual personalities of each of these dinosaurs. Well done kids!!









3 comments:

  1. Can you give some tips on what to say when directing their drawings? These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan. We started with a small lump and a long lump that would be the top of the dino's face. (I am drawing an example with them on a large whiteboard) From there we created a series of curved shapes for the mouth. At this point I had them add teeth and the eye to give them more of a perspective on where they were in their drawings.From there I went slowly through a series of shapes to create the entire dinosaur. I find it helps if I draw an object a few times first to see the easiest way to go about drawing it from a child's perspective. Hope this helps Megan!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!