Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mother's Day Bouquets

Art by children K-5th (last 2 pieces are my experiments)

On Friday, I held a special 1-day mixed media class for children K-5th. The children created floral bouquets in honor of Mother's Day. We looked at the floral still life work of one of my new favorites, Lulie Wallace.
Her work is so bright, lively and loose. She even does commissions of bridal bouquets, which is such a fantastic idea! The children were encouraged to create a variety of flowers for their glass vases. I offered acrylics, watercolors, and oil pastels to add color to their work. The last step was to add liquid watercolor in their vases with a sprinkle of salt to give the look of water. I was excited to learn that some of these pieces are headed to grandmothers living in South Africa and Switzerland! For the local Mom recipients, I am wrapping them up for their Mother's Day surprise next Sunday. They will be sure to treasure these. (Wish I was able to get photos of all of them.)

3 comments:

I appreciate your comments and feedback!