Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hummingbird and Spring Blossoms





























Spring is in full swing (even in notoriously seasonless Southern California). I combined a couple different lessons to create this project for my classes. The hummingbird was created using a great direct line drawing lesson from Ms. Julie's Place.
After going over the pencil drawing with permanent marker, the children will add color with watercolors. On a separate paper they will create a blue watercolor wash for their spring sky. The branches were done using the edge of cardboard dipped in brown and printed on the dry sky. The blossoms are done with a double loaded brush of hot pink and white. Once this has dried the hummingbird can be cut out and glued to base paper. I'm looking forward to posting many examples soon!







4 comments:

  1. I love this lesson! Such a fun addition with the little line drawing birdies to the classic cherry blossom branch : ) Makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary- this is in response to the question you asked me on my blog- Thanks, Mary. first the boards are painted black. Then we use some layering of acrylic paints- light green, turquoise, bronze, gold ... the trick is to paint it as if it was an aged patina. Becasue actylic paint dries fast, you can take advantage of layering techniques and scumbling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happened to find your wonderful blog about art for kids… my favorite topic!!… I’m enjoying looking at all your photographs, and will spend a little time browsing through your blog. I especially like how you encourage the kids to combine techniques, like the kites on the painted background. Meanwhile, please encourage your readers to visit my new blog http://maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog/
    and my website http://www.brightring.com
    for lots of art ideas and many free art activities from all of my 25 books.

    Thank you for all you do for children,
    MaryAnn Kohl
    art author

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first year at a school where art is integrated into the curriculum. I love it, but don't have a lot of training so you are a great help.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!