Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Year of the Sheep (or Goat)


Gung Hei Fat Choi!



I didn't plan any projects for Chinese New Year given my class themes at this time. But here are two projects that would work this year. Depending on who you talk to, it could be the year of the sheep  or goat - I guess it's a regional thing. I did these winter sheep a couple years ago. They were created on brown or blue construction paper with chalk pastels and were cut out and glued to a watercolor background. The Chinese Zodiac says that people born in the year of the Sheep or Goat (which I happen to be) "want a bit of peace" and "enjoy carrying on with their life in their own individual way." Bingo!


These colorful Chinese lanterns made last year at this time, were great fun for my students to create and were a basic way of teaching 3 dimension with the use of ellipses. The possibilities are endless! Artwork is done in oil pastel with a watercolor background and printed dots of white acrylic for white lights.

2 comments:

  1. I thought I had heard both sheep and goat at various times, and assumed I was mistaken. Glad to know it's not my imagination...

    Anyhow the sheep are pretty cool! Is the white done with tempera on the watercolor? I like the way it looks. Did you have to spray the sheep?

    I was born in the year of the dragon. Seems very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Phyl snow was made with white tempera on top of liquid watercolor. How completely appropriate that you were born in the year of the dragon!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!