Thursday, July 25, 2013

My Art - 20 Years Ago










"Sarah and Sadie" This piece hangs in my home


After working as a graphic designer and before my life as a Mom and children's art teacher, I worked as a commissioned artist in Atlanta. To state the obvious, the great majority of my pieces were African American portraits. This was not something I had pre-planned.  It just so happened that the audience that was most enthusiastic about my art at the time were African American. I did a few portraits for co-workers of my husband, and before I knew it, I had a steady stream of commissions. Clients would either give me photos or a general subject matter and I would go from there. I worked large, these are life-size works in charcoal.

 I have been fully absorbed being a children's art teacher for the past 5 years and have not given much focus to my own art. My son is turning 18 next week, and I'm thinking this might be the perfect time for me to get back into" the game." Like many of you who have described having creative "blocks", I too have dealt with the same issues. I guess it's all a matter of baby steps and just "doing it" without over thinking and agonizing. And maybe by doing this post it will a motivator to spur me into action. :)

13 comments:

  1. Amazing would love for Jenna to try this..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's carve out a new path for Jenna this fall Tina.

      Delete
  2. yay sounds Great Mary, see you Tuesday : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing artwork - they absolutely shimmer! Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary you make us very proud, your thoughts perfect. Think you should work again with your own art. Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom and Dad! You are always so supportive of me and it means the world!

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful pieces. Each piece conveys so much feeling through the dramatic use of tone and flowing movement of the composition. One of the first things that attracted me to your blog years ago was the lovely painting you use as your header, which I am guessing is yours as well. Then, I was completely drawn in by the words in your wonderful blog. I teach MS and HS art during the school year and camp art to Pre-K through Grade 4 in the summer. Know that your blog has been a valuable resource to me. You are already making an impact doing exactly what you are doing.

    I, too, struggle as an art teacher and mom to find time for my own artwork! I tell myself there is a season for all things, and this is the time in my life to focus on raising my family. I'm cheering you on fellow artist, mom, teacher and blogger.

    Carol http://artlessonlaunchpad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Carol! I so appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. Wow these are gorgeous! Charcoal achieves drama like nothing else. Love the fact that the drawings are life sized too. Would love to see one in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an amazing talent Mary, well worth pursuing. It must have given you great pleasure. No 2, sax player is my favourite. I work 4 days a week to allow time for my art but it's still not enough. I am also very conscious of how quickly time goes by. Nows good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These pieces are amazing. They are so life like and detailed. I think that this is a wonderful time for you to get back into the game as a commissioned or freelance artist.


    Please visit My Webblog:Online PhD UK Programs

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are great, mary! you have a wonderful way with texture and value. time to get crackin on some more!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!