Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lois Ehlert Inspired Bird Collages











My experiment made from leftover paper from my 
Abstract Art Fun class collage project

I was inspired by this Winter Bird Art Lesson from Deep Space Sparkle. My Children's Book Art group looked at the collage work of Lois Ehlert in her books, Snowballs, Pie in the Sky, and Top Cat. My students created a variety of patterned paper using watercolors and acrylics. A background in chalk pastels was created and next some birch trees (inspired by Ehlert's work in Snowballs) using cardboard and black acrylics. Birds were then created using templates and placed around their base to create an interesting composition. This is a great project to utilize any leftover patterned or textured paper.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always Mary!! I really like the contrasts created by the layers of contrasting materials. Thank you,Elizabeth:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Mary! Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What grade level did you use this lesson with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These students were 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! How did you do the snowflakes in a few of the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite way to make snow is to turn the paintbrushes around and have the children stick the wooden ends into white paint and print dots of snow. I sometimes do this to make stars in nighttime projects as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, these came out so pretty! I've shared this on The Crafty Crow today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! What were the steps in creating the chalk pastel backgrounds?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!