Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Beetle-Mania and "Work of Art" Project


My example







This was a fun and quick multi-media art project I originally saw on The Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas. Recently I saw a couple inspired pieces on Pinterest. The first week the children created simple oval shapes and backgrounds using chalk pastel. They used a small brush and watered down black tempera (in lieu of ink) to create their beetle details. A watercolor border is added and then some splatters using more watercolor. The following week they added more details in oil pastel and chalk pastel and finally the option of words in Sharpie. These pieces were created by children ages 6-9.

Meri Cherry the fabulously creative Kindergarten teacher has created a fun opportunity for anyone to create a work of art inspired by a newspaper headline taken from last week's challenge on Bravo's "Work of Art". See the details on her blog Here. This isn't a competition and no one is being sent home. Ha! Just a fun creative outlet. I know everyone has a lot going on, this doesn't have to be a labor and time intensive project. I think I'll have my nine year old daughter join in on the fun. (I think this sounds like a great alternative to battling the crowds on Black Friday). If you're interested just drop her a comment. (And she's added a fantastic incentive!) Deadline is in 2 weeks.

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments and feedback!