Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tasty Treats A La Thiebaud

























































My Mini Modern Artists finished this art session with a take on the work of pop artist, Wayne Thiebaud. The children were very excited about the subject matter of this living artist: rows of cakes, lollipops, pie ect. They each chose their dessert and drew and cut out a simple shape to be repeated. Some kids opted for a whole sweets buffet. After tracing their shape in permanent marker they used chalk and oil pastels to mimic Thiebaud's thick painterly style. I encouraged them to add some strong cast shadows, also very prevalent in his work. I did my own cupcakes as an example. But I was really thrilled to see these 2nd and 3rd graders take it a step further with color and placement. I think they did a wonderful job!




















































3 comments:

  1. These are amazing. I love the donuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! We started a similar project with WT as our inspiration this week. We are using paint and texture-have to post when we finish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!