Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Alley Cat Collages






























This project was inspired by the art of Ezra Jack Keats, (one of my favorite children's book authors/illustrators) and more specifically his book, "Hi Cat" seen here. I love his expressive, painterly brushstrokes and use of collage to portray an urban landscape. So my students used cut painted paper placemats full of brushstrokes, spills and even doodles, just as they did with these Mixed Media Cityscapes. They could add more paint, stamped letters, or scribbles to their backgrounds to make them their own. Stray kitties could be done in a choice of media on black or white paper. The kids created the top of a trash can using scraps of roofing felt and silver paint. Some of my students really embraced the messy, expressive aspect of this project
(Artwork by k-5th graders)

2 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! Big EJK fan myself - Willie the dog is my fave:)
    The backgrounds are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love each and every one -- such great personality!! I especially like the way the eyes stand out:))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!