Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sandra Silberzweig Inspired Faces

Your details and use of color are fantastic Brendon.
What a beautiful piece! Frame it Carrie!










With just 40 minutes left for the last class of the Dec/Jan session, my group of 1st and 2nd graders created these wonderful faces that are a blend of Cubism and tribal masks. They were inspired by the work of a the very heavily pinned Canadian artist, Sandra Silberzweig. I knew instantly when I saw her work, I had to do an inspired lesson.

To create their pieces, the children chose a colored long piece of construction paper and created a "super huge U shape". From there they followed basic facial directions but I encouraged them to really cut loose and create their own designs and patterns using Sharpie. They used both chalk and oil pastel to add color. The final step, as tedious as it was, was to trace over all their Sharpie lines with black oil pastel to really make their work "pop." Beautiful work guys! I'm proud of you all. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary!

    They're all FABULOUS but #1 and #5 just blew me away! The look on #5's face is too funny! The first one could have been done by an adult artist with years of experience it's that remarkable. You just keep bringing it!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love abstract style faces! They always turn out so creative and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great interpretation of the artist work.
    I love the boldness of colors and the expressiveness of lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary,
    I am Sandra Silberzweig's sister Susan. We came across your site, and Sandra is thrilled that you and your budding young artists created such amazing works of art from viewing her paintings. We have forwarded your site to all our colleagues and friends. Thanks for such a vote of appreciation and flattery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! Susan, I was so thrilled to receive the email from Sandra. Thanks so much for your comment. I look forward to doing more lessons inspired by her unique, colorful and graphic style. I will be sure to send her an email before my post. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!