Monday, May 23, 2011

Ancient Egyptian Royalty


Even Egyptian Queens have to smile sometimes



Some of my first graders created an Egyptian Queen or King self portrait for their last project of this session. I adapted this project from one I saw on Artsonia. We looked at art of the ancient Egyptian royalty for inspiration. In the past I have had the children paint their faces (computer printed profiles) with a watered down white wash to age the artwork. My daughter paused and said, "I think the parents would like to see their children's faces." Good point Savannah! I took her advice on this one. They painted a gold border and created designs for their head dress and tunic using oil pastels. Each child wrote their name using Egyptian Hieroglyphics. And of course no pharaoh would be complete without the signature black eyeliner. Some kids really went to town with their Sharpies!

11 comments:

  1. Kids have THE best Ideas!!! I think she's right! They will love to see their kids and their kids learned so much about ancient Egypt! Especially cool how they signed their work in Hieroglyphics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I wish I could have observed you teaching this! What a grat idea with the xerox profiles! You have very talented first graders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there... You've been walloped by the wand of the Art Fairy! I loved this tutorial so much that it made the Weekly Top Twenty at the Art Fairy. Stop by an pick up a button if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ne güzel fikir ve ne güzel çalışmalar.tebrik ederim öğrencilerinizi...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE children's art! these are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen that take on it. Wonderful! jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea but cannot see how you did it, could you explain a bit more is it on a chalkboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were done on large pieces of black construction paper. I printed the children's pictures on 8 X 10 paper and glued them down for them onto the black paper. This made it easier for them to add their headdresses and tunics. I had pictures of artifacts depicting Egyptian Kings and Queens and showed the children several ideas for drawing the basic shape of their headdresses. From there, the children created their own designs using oil pastels. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. iSee you're a fellow #SCADgrad and art educator. Nice :)
      mizz4sh-e.weebly.com

      Delete
  8. I'm studying Ancient Egypt with my 1st and 2nd graders and love this idea. I didn't quite understand the process of white washing the pictures for this idea. Can you share that technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used white tempera paint that I thinned out a bit with water so that their facial features would still show through. But this step could be completely omitted. Thanks!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!