Thursday, May 28, 2015

Zen Pandas

Beautiful Kate! (2nd grade)














 Love your elegant twisted branches Emerson! (kinder)




I've done this lesson based on the Beautiful book Zen Shorts by John J. Muth a number of times. This book is a Treasure! It works well for a wide age range (K thru 4th grade) and the kids always seem to enjoy creating their collage pieces. My group started by creating a chalk pastel sky background. They painted a moon and then branches using watered down acrylic. While their backgrounds dried, they created their panda based on the book's main character, Stillwater. (He teaches his three neighbor children some wonderful life lessons through stories that have roots in Zen Buddhist literature.) Last, my class created their cherry blossoms using the ends of pencils dipped in red and white. Cut pandas were then glued to their backgrounds.

2 comments:

  1. Those are absolutely gorgeous! I'm pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done these before, and you're right, the kids just love them! Maybe I have to bring this lesson back. Thanks for sharing.
    Renee Collins
    http://myadventuresinpositivespace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!