Friday, May 22, 2015

Cuddly Koalas

 1st grade


 4th grade


 kinder


 2nd grade


 2nd grade



 1st grade


2nd grade


kinder


 kinder


I decided to stay on the continent of Australia with this mixed media Koala lesson. My daughter and I have been watching a wonderful series on Netflix called Dance Academy, filmed all round beautiful Sydney. This coupled with commercials for the "Koalafornia" exhibit at the San Diego Zoo clearly played a part in my choosing an Australian themed lesson. 

My K through 4th grade group created their koala portraits using chalk pastels and charcoal, smudging with their pointer fingers to blend. Since Eucalyptus trees are home, shelter and food for these cute marsupials, the children created branches and leaves with oil pastel and last a watercolor background. Koalas were cut out and glued to their colorful habitats.

my experiment

2 comments:

  1. These are stunning! Any tips on the drawing instructions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe I had the children start with the nose first in pencil, drawing it on the white board and talking about the curve on the top and extending down into a long oval shape. Next we created "lemon" or "football" shaped eyes on either side, a curved top of the head, furry circle ears and so on. I find it's helpful to describe the shapes and lines we are seeing in a photograph together. I will often call out for "shape master" suggestions as to what a particular thing we are drawing is shaped like. This helps break down something we are drawing into step by step shape drawings. We used the sides of our pastels to shade our koalas and charcoal for shadows. I hope this helps!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!