Thursday, June 5, 2014

Suminagashi Minis






If you've never tried Suminagashi before, you must! But be warned, it's highly addictive. Suminagashi ("floating ink") is a paper marbling process that originated in Japan in the 12th century. My Abstract Art Fun Class (K-3rd) created mini monoprints using 4X6 photo paper. Each student had a small plastic container of water. With a small brush they floated their Sumi ink on the top of their water. When they were finished laying their colors, they gently swirled the water with the backs of their brushes and then laid their paper on top. Each monoprint is completely unique, like a fingerprint. I chose each child's best 3 and mounted them on black foam core. I've also done this project at my daughter's birthday party and the children created note cards and notepads. And my last Abstract Art Class used their Suminagashi prints in a collage.

1 comment:

  1. Genial, visita nuestro blog de la escuela Paul Groussac. http://conojosdeartistaescuela5.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!