Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Raccoons

 4th

 Kinder


 Kinder


 3rd


 3rd


 Kinder


2nd


Let it be said that a 5 year old wielding a stick of charcoal is a wonderful and terrifying sight all at once.
: ) Every time I do a lesson in charcoal, inevitably I will bid farewell to my students and parents only to discover my face looks like I moonlight as a chimney sweep. (Why no one ever tells me, I'll never know)

That being said, it still remains one of my favorite mediums and worth every smudge. I revisited this raccoon lesson with my K through 4th grade group. We started our pencil drawings with a series of simple circle shapes and defined the face from there. These critters always seem to have a lot of character....just like the artists who created them.

7 comments:

  1. LOVE! They did a great job! Mary, you're only as good as your face and clothes look when you leave each day! True art teachers do not own clean clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I love children's art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! My favourite is the third one- it's so sophisticated and haunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I'm trying to locate a project that someone posted from a summer camp, maybe last year, and I thought it was you (though after searching, I cannot find it. Why didn't I pin it???!?) Anyhow, it was paintings on canvas board I believe; bright, cheerful, and happy either sunshines, or maybe peace signs... Anyway, if it was yours, I wonder if you could send me a link to it? I'd be very grateful! You can email me at plbrown3 at yahoo dot com. If it wasn't you, please just ignore this... it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong! Thank you!!!! (By the way, the racoons are adorable, and you are amazing using charcoal with kids so young! Do you spray the artwork with any fixative? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't sound like a lesson I've done. You might check Sleepyhead Design Studio.
      No, I don't spray artwork (unless a parent requests it.)
      Thanks Phyl!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!