Friday, November 21, 2014

Pandamonium













My Experiment 

The theme for this class session is Whimsical Animal Art. I just celebrated my 47th birthday and gifted myself with a theme that was lighthearted and fun to enjoy with the kids during the busy holiday season (and as an added bonus, some of these pieces would make great gifts for family and friends).  We are using various illustrations as inspiration for our mixed media pieces. This wonderfully rendered panda by artist, Jamie Mitchell caught my eye on Pinterest. My K through 6th graders created their pandas with Sharpie and charcoal and their own designer bow ties with markers. They then chose two coordinating pieces of scrapbook paper on which to glue their cut pandas. ( I spent 30 minutes agonizing over which pad to buy at Michael's. I have a major thing for patterned scrapbook paper even though I don't scrapbook). 
I adore the individual expressions on these hipster pandas!

8 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I'm definitely going to have to put these in my "borrow" file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Mary:)) Love how the color in the wallpaper and the bows serve to make the black and white "pop"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are brilliant! Did you talk them through how to draw the panda or did they just use a picture for reference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much! Yes Daniel, I did a direct line drawing lesson with them. Since the age range is so broad (5-11), I think keeping the shapes very basic was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing! You clearly bring out the best in your students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another inspiring animal! Whimsical indeed! And by the way... Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!