Friday, October 4, 2013

Colorful Collage Still Lifes



These beautiful collages were inspired by the bold and colorful paintings of Matisse
 and the painterly still life art of Cezanne....
They put a smile on my face - Wonderful job kids!


 Grace, 1st grade


 Cate, 4th grade


 Franziska, 2nd grade


 Andie, 2nd grade
I feel like I need to reach out and catch this precariously perched lantern :)


 Pia, 4th grade


Sadie, 2nd grade


These collages gave my two groups the opportunity to use a wide range of media: oil pastel and watercolor for the backgrounds, acrylic for the tables, charcoal lanterns, and vases and fruit in chalk pastels. All our cut elements (lanterns admittedly took some patience) were glued onto the backgrounds and finally a cast shadow in charcoal was added. Since I have children ranging in age from 5 to 10, creating still lifes in a collage format rather than on one paper allowed everyone to feel successful.

6 comments:

  1. These are pretty amazing, Mary. Those cast shadows really make the objects "jump off the page"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job kids..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. Especially the ones with the flower patterned backgrounds! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are excellent...did you you have a real lantern for them to draw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, I didn't have a real lantern; that would have been great. I had a photo and lead a direct line drawing lesson.

      Delete
  5. WOW! These are incredible!!!!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!