Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tropical Birds








I was mulling over the idea of doing a tropical bird lesson based on one from the book, "Drawing with Children" by Mona Brooks. I then saw some great birds on Bluemoon Palette and that settled it(thanks Tami). I have a majority of 1st graders in my after school classes this spring. I find that they both enjoy and do well with breaking down a subject matter step by step. So I gave them (as well as my other grades) big sheets of board and we created a variety of tropical birds, moving around the space. I was focusing on composition with this project so I encouraged them to really fill up their page: birds first, then branches and last leaves and flowers. They could use watercolor and/or oil pastel to bring their piece to life. This seemed to be a very enjoyable lesson to everyone. One girl squealed with excitement, "this is the best art I've ever made!" Aahh, music to my ears. :)

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful artwork.
    The first one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that one too! Cate,the artist is 6 and she has such a sweet spirit.(it definitely comes across)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the perspective too. I love this time of year. There are so many themes that the kids are so interested in birds/audobon, flowers, nature, and not to mention we can finally go outside to do some art projects I have visions of some action painting with kindergarteners in garbage bag smocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do a tropical bird lesson every year with my third grades and it's one of my most popular. These look amazing! I love all of the overlapping - I'll definitely have to add some of your ideas to my lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh these are so fun!! i've awarded you with the "versatile blogger" award! sooo, link up and keep on "marymaking"! www.ourartlately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!