Sunday, December 30, 2012

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

                                     
(Samantha, 13) - Gorgeous!


Over the Winter Break I'm offering two 1-day themed art classes. The first was Winter Wonderland Art. Since we live in Orange County, this class may be the closest thing to snow the kids might experience this winter. (Although many take advantage of our great snow destinations in Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead and Mammoth.) My age range was a bit daunting ...5-13. But I think I chose projects wisely to please, entertain and challenge. The first was the classic and beloved printed birch trees. I have seen this done so many ways and it just doesn't get old in my book. Color mixing, perspective, shading ... it has it all. These were created with liquid watercolors, black acrylic paint prints using using cardboard, splattered snowfall and shadows using charcoal or watercolor.



Next, my group looked at this wonderful wolf illustration from Etsy. We followed a direct line drawing lesson and then used Sharpie, Charcoal and their choice of media to add color (marker, oil pastel, or watercolor). Lastly, they added a watercolor background and printed snowfall using the backs of paintbrushes with white acrylic.They are all so different and wonderful! We packed quite a bit into a 2 hour class. Thanks to you kids for working so nicely together and bringing your "A" game. I loved my morning with you all!











4 comments:

  1. Was the drawing lesson something online? I love this art project and would like to try it with my class. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline! It was actually a beautiful illustration I saw on Etsy. There is a link above you can click on to see it. From there, I did a direct line drawing lesson with the kids. It worked well for a wide age range. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Saw that you are a SCAD grad. We sent my son to SCAD as well, so there is an immediate connection. I am doing a birch tree project with my afterschool Art Appreciation Class. I am glad to see that it went well with your age group because I have the same situation, 3rd - 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment fellow SCAD alumni (Mom)! Hope the project went well!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!